Friday Favorites is a series where we share small, seemingly mundane moments from the past week – little details, often overlooked, that comprise this thing we call life.
“Get a fixer-upper,” they said.
“It’ll be fun!” they said.
Well, friends, it has been one INSANE roller coaster of a ride: I haven’t eaten a real meal in weeks, don’t remember the last time I took a shower and have all but moved into Lowe’s and Home Depot. I’m running on fumes, with little more than 4-5 hours of sleep each night, so you know what I did yesterday evening?
I just sat on the couch… and watched a movie… and didn’t feel the least bit guilty about the million things on the to-do list that must be finished before the quickly approaching renovation deadline.
Ok, if I’m being honest, I did feel the tiniest bit of guilt. But you know what? It was quite possibly the most glorious two hours of the last 10 months since we first bought the bungalow.
As I said last week, “We have to stop blurring the line between commitment and self-endangerment.” I am learning to put my own words into practice. What a concept, right?
Also, for the record, no one really suggested that we buy a fixer upper. In fact, we weren’t even looking to buy a house; it just sort of happened. (Insert hysterical laughter – because the only other option is hysterical tears.)
But let’s try to keep things positive, shall we? Here are a few good parts of my week:
- Thank you to everyone who responded to my plea last week to pray for my 93-year-old grandmother, who suffered a heart attack last week. After several days of constant tests, the surgery was cancelled, because her artery is blocked at 100%, so putting in a stent was not an option, and any other alternative procedure was not recommended due to her age and slim likelihood of survival. At the risk of sounding like a totally cliche Christian, our God works in mysterious ways, and despite a completely blocked artery, she has now been discharged from the hospital and appears to be on the mend. Even the doctors were blown away by her circumstances and strong spirit. So once again, thank you, thank you, thank you for your outpouring of love and support!
- Far less life-altering but still very, very exciting: We have started laying our master bathroom tile, seen above, and it is BEAUTIFUL – so beautiful, in fact, that even my husband can’t help but remark, “It looks so nice!” every few minutes. He’s a man of few words, so that says a lot. Remember the top secret Wayfair project I was telling you about? Well, this is it, friends, and I can’t wait to share more details! Feel free to follow along on Instagram for the latest progress!
- Another update on the bungalow renovation: We’ve finally started hanging the light fixtures! A few more are scheduled to arrive oh-so-soon, but I’m so pleased with the difference a light fixture makes in the space! It’s finally starting to look like a home, and I couldn’t be more excited. By the way, if you’re in the market for light fixtures, Wayfair is having a two-day sale blowout with up to 70% off select items, so hurry, hurry, hurry!
- If you need a good laugh, check out this short Twitter video that my little sister made. I. CANNOT. STOP. WATCHING. IT.
- In one week will be the three-year anniversary of this. My, how time flies…
- When (and if) I ever find some free time, I’ll need to read two design- or business-related books as part of my yearly goals at my job. Any recommendations?