Of all the 90’s trends that are making a comeback right now, crop tops would be the last one I’d ever even consider wearing – or so I once thought.
When I saw this fun Jersey Devil Black Crop Tee from Lulu*s, I instantly knew I had to give this fun trend a whirl. The high-waisted skirt was an obvious choice as far as bottoms were concerned, because frankly, it’s cute, and it covered my bottom as I spent my day climbing the charming (and, let’s be honest, exhausting!) cobblestone steps of Dubrovnik, Croatia.
Below are a few simple styling tips to pulling off this tricky piece:
- Choose a slimming color or pattern. Black, anyone?
- Hide the belly button. You want to appear effortlessly sophisticated, not desperate.
- Find a flattering cut. Expose the area right where your ribs end, as it tends to be naturally toned.
- Pair with high-waisted bottoms, which allow you to show a hint of skin without feeling exposed.
- Be confident. To be honest, it took me several tries to get over the ridiculous “oh-my-goodness-people-are-staring-at-my-midriff” feeling. Of course, there’s a time and place for everything, and although I’d never wear a crop top in the small town where I live, it was the perfect piece to rock on a sweltering summer day in Dubrovnik.
Have you braved this trend yet? How do you wear it? If you haven’t, maybe this weekend is the perfect time to try it out!
If you enjoyed the few glimpses of the city, then be sure to check out the full Dubrovnik Photo Diary!
Shop the Outfit »
1. Skort, ASOS (similar) // 2. Top, c/o Lulu*s // 3. Shoes, Nicole (similar) // 4. Watch, DKNY (similar) // 5. Bracelets, Charming Charlie, ASOS, TJ Maxx (similar here, here, here) // 6. Sunglasses, thrifted (similar) // 7. Lipstick, Maybelline